What is ELSA Moot Court Competition?
The ELSA Moot Court Competition (EMC²) is a simulated hearing of the World Trade Organization (WTO) dispute settlement system and is organised annually by The European Law Students’ Association (ELSA) and open to teams from around the globe. The aim of the Competition is to encourage further development on the subject matter of the WTO in the curriculum of academic institutions and to contribute to the ongoing discussion regarding globalisation in the context of the WTO Agreements. The aim is also to assist countries in developing their technical legal capacity by preparing the next generation of trade lawyers and negotiators.
Global competition - global visibility
The ELSA Moot Court Competition is a global Moot Court Competition that brings participants together from all over the world. The Oral Rounds take the form of Regional Rounds, being either ELSA or non-ELSA Regional Rounds. The best 4 Teams of each Regional Round are qualified to take part in the Final Oral round of the EMC2.
This years Regional Rounds will be held around the globe:
- European Regional Round in Porto, Portugal
- European Regional Round in Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- All America Regional Round in Washington D.C, USA
- Asia-Pacific Regional Round in Taipei, Taiwan
- Possible Africa Regional Round in Mauritius
Timeline of the competition
- September 2012 - Launch of the Competition
- January 2013 - Deadline for Written Submissions
- March/April 2013 - Oral Regional Rounds
- May 2013 - Final Oral Round
The Final Oral Round
The Final Oral Round of the 11th edition of the EMC2 will be held at the WTO Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland from the 30th of April until the 5th of May 2013.